July News

Quilts all ready to have topstitched? Call 604-992-8737 or email 6avelongarm@gmail.com to book an appointment.

Burnaby Market dates

July 26, August 9 & 23, September 6 & 20, October 4 & 18, 9 am to 2 pm.

Thursday, 24 July 2014

Wave, Wave, Wave in Stormy Seas

Myrna’s Stormy Sea is bright and beautiful and more like a fun day at the beach than a stormy one.
Surrounded by waves (a wonderful modification of the snail’s pattern) you just want to run in with your pail and shovel and make castles.

Because of all the colours in the quilt we decided on a grey thread to move and blend in.  Making sure that the colour tone is the same is the key to picking out the perfect thread for your quilt.

I changed the feathered scrolls pattern to mimic waves and the end result was perfect.

This wedding quilt for Myrna’s daughter is sure to be well loved and well used for many years to come.


Monday, 21 July 2014

Framed Box Table Runner

Tracy’s second table runner (loading both on the longarm at the same time saves money and time) is just a classy as the first.

Wanting to have a little more fun with this small quilt I played with many different options for the center of the boxes.
I tried bugs, bees, flowers and stylized feathers and was just not happy.

So taking cue from the first table runner I used a very similar flower with multi peddles in the boxes.
Ribbons tightly meandering around each of the stitched in the ditch boxes still made this a fun topper.

I love ribbons as they are whimsical and playful and who does not like a package all wrapped in ribbons?

Friday, 18 July 2014

Hunter Star Table Runner

Tracy made this very classy hunter star table runner and sent it home with me from my last Nakusp visit.

Mixes of light, dark and beige combine the classic old world feel with a very new world look.

Wanting to show off the stars, I stitched in the ditch around each but felt they needed just a little bit more “pop” and placed a simple 4 leaf flower in the centre.

Then what came natural where adding the same to each of the joining blocks.  Making for a beautiful frame around each star.  A table centre piece to be sure.

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Burnaby Farmers Market

Being my first set-up at the Burnaby Farmers Market I was so glad my son came and helped.  We had a wonderful day even though it was really warm out.  There were lots of venders selling vegetables, garden plants, textiles, jewellery, great food, coffee, ice cream and even entertainment.  There was a chess board set up for people to use as well as a kids’ corner to play in.

It was fun to people watch and introduce myself to every quilter that came by and chat with those that weren't.

I’ll have a table set up every second Saturday so if you get the chance please drop in and introduce yourself.  For those of you that do drop in and mention that you read my website I will give a 10% discount for your next quilt needing to be topstitched on the longarm.  You can also check out a few of the patterns available by checking out the quilts there.
Please feel free to bring your quilts to the market for a free quote or to have them topstitched.

The market is set up at the Burnaby Courthouse north parking lot from 9 am to 2 pm.
Market dates
July 26
August 9 & 23
September  6 & 20
October 4 & 18

Thursday, 10 July 2014

Pineapple Pattern

Emily’s black, white and red pineapple quilt is amazing.

All the work that went into this quilt is a tribute to Emily and I wonder how many hours went into this quilt (its huge 105” x 116”).

For the main body of the quilt I picked a flower style off the border and topstitched a version of Terry’s fav flowers.
Although it is hard to see the topstitching on the front, the back really shows it off.

To add a little motion to the black border a free hand scroll themed pattern was used.

Then to keep things simple a basic meander for the outer border was used. 

What a beautiful gift Emily.  Nicely done.

Monday, 7 July 2014

Hawaii in a box

If you can’t get to the island then the only thing to do is put a few blocks of Hawaii themed fabric in shadow boxes and you can go anytime.

This really was a marvellous pattern for Evelyn to showcase her big patterned fabric.

You can almost smell the flowers on the quilt and sure to remind Evelyn of her last trip to Hawaii.

This wonderful quilt was made especially for her motor home.  A holiday quilt in the holiday bus.
Topsitiching ribbons seemed the perfect longarm pattern for such a wonderful quilt.

What a pretty quilt.

Friday, 4 July 2014

Crazy Quilt 2

Lauretta’s second quilt is all finished and is just as beautiful as the first.

Although all the fabric scraps are the same as the first quilt I decided to complete the quilt with a different topstitch pattern.

Wanting to make sure that there is good coverage when topstitching a quilt with multiple fabric types, a medium dense pattern was needed.  It adds good support and stops any fraying from the silks and satins not always cut on the straight of grain.

So I longarmed a pattern with lots of movement; with swirls and feather patterns and lots of flow.